The Media Relations Manager will manage media outreach for Small Business Majority by planning and executing media relations campaigns and strategies at the local, state and national level. They will write press releases and media advisories, coordinate interviews with reporters, pitch stories and manage Small Business Majority’s media database. They will also be responsible for writing op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points and more.This is an ideal role for a self-starter who’s able to think creatively and strategically to garner earned media in a tough news climate. This role reports to the VP, Communications while also working closely with other members of senior leadership.
- Create and execute media relations plans at the local, state and national level
- Work closely with the VP, Communications and others to identify and implement new strategies to further the organization’s brand recognition and develop members of the organization and spokespeople as thought leaders on small business and economic issues
- Develop and nurture relationships with print and online editors, writers, TV/radio producers, bookers, etc., specifically in states where we have staff
- Pitch stories, secure media coverage and draft and place op-eds, letters to the editor and other pieces
- Write and distribute press releases, media statements, Q&A docs, policy summaries and other materials as needed
- Maintain and grow our database of media contacts at the local, state and national levels
- Provide talking points on key policy issues to Small Business Majority staff members and small business owners
- Help prepare Small Business Majority staff and small business owners in our network for media interviews/interactions, including media training
- Stay on top of critical related news and developments and respond quickly to media inquiries
- Create letter to the editor and op-ed content from small business owners
- Proactively search out opportunities for media interviews and engagement for Small Business Majority staff and members of our network
- Write and edit other content as needed, such as testimony, blogs and web content, particularly related to our key policy issues (healthcare, access to capital, entrepreneurship, workforce, etc.)
- Assist with the organization’s social media efforts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blogs)
- Between 3-5 years media/journalism experience
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal; bilingual (Spanish/English) a plus
- Superior writing and interviewing skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Self-starter; deadline oriented; personable—able to foster positive working relationships with colleagues, small business owners, partners, etc.
- Ability to understand complex policy issues and translate them into layman’s terms for small business owners, media, etc.
- Interest in advocacy and public policy
- Available to work outside regular working hours and weekends as needs arise
- Mastery of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, blogging) and social media analytics
- Enjoy a collaborative work environment with ability to work as part of a team with multiple internal and external resources; as well, must be able to work independently and remotely with team members in other cities/states
- Mastery of all Microsoft Office programs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Any of the following experience a plus: Small business/business, healthcare, workforce issues, immigration, women/minority issues, and/or non-profit
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send your resume, cover letter and 2-3 writing samples to [email protected].
Small Business Majority is seeking a full-time Central California Outreach Manager, ideally based in the Fresno area to manage our on-the-ground work in the region. This position will help develop and implement strategies to conduct outreach to small business owners, organizations, policy makers and other small business advocates. This position will focus on a variety of issues including access to capital, health care reform, retirement, workforce issues and others. The ideal candidate will have expertise in areas of outreach, public policy engagement and business community engagement and be able to work simultaneously on multiple projects. This position will report to Small Business Majority’s VP of California.
Outreach responsibilities include:
- Identify and develop strong external relationships withsmall business owners, business organizations and policymakers throughout Central California.
- Develop strategies to successfully meetspecific deliverables related to various grant funded projects on behalf of Small Business Majority in California.
- Educateand conduct outreach to small employers, the self-employedand business organizations to deliver the resources created through Small Business Majority’s Entrepreneurship Program.
- In collaboration with local chambers and business organizations, organize, plan and execute in-person presentations, webinars and other small business engagement activities.
- Inform and activate small business owners to take action to affect state and federal policy decisions by writing letters to policymakers, submitting opinion pieces to local media, testifying at legislative hearings, etc.
- Fast-trackcommunicationwith/and secure small business owners for events, legislative priorities and press events.
- Supported bySmall Business Majority’s national Small Business Engagement team, use creative techniques to help grow the small business owner network in Central California.
- Assist the VP, Californiain identify funding opportunities for Small Business Majority from philanthropic foundations, corporate giving programs, etc.
- Participate in panels, press conferences, events and possibly testify at legislative hearings.
- Enter small business and other contact information into Small Business Majority’s database in a timely and accurate manner.
- Keep detailed records of outreach efforts and work in conjunction with the VP, California and Grants Managerto present information for funder reports.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Work closely with the Vice President, California and the Vice President, Entrepreneurship to advance the expansion of SBM’s Venturize digital resource, including the growth of the Venturize matching tool in Central California and the development of the partnerships that make this possible.
- In coordination with our national Communications team pitch stories, secure media coverage and place op-eds and other pieces into business and mainstream media.
- Stay on top of critical news and developments.
- Work with Communications staff to coordinate launches and media events.
- Track news coverage on key issues, legislation, partner organizations, etc.
- Strong ability and proven-track record of building and maintaining strong professional relationships with a variety of external stakeholders
- Ability to work in a flexible, entrepreneurial environment with frequently shifting priorities and evolving internal processes and structures
- Self-starter who has ability to network with small business owners, business organizations and policymakers
- Experience in advocacy, public policy and political organizing, a plus
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- 3 years outreach or public engagement experience, work within the business community preferred
- Collaborative in nature with ability to work remotely in conjunction with team members across the country
- Strong sense of accountability; driven to meet and exceed expectations
- Regional travel required throughout Central California
- Successful experience fundraising from corporate and/or philanthropic institutions, a plus
- Available for periodic travel throughout California and attend key external and internal meetings (including SBM’s annual 3-day retreat)
- Must be able to work from a home office
- Bi-lingual (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin) preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected].