Small Business Majority is a 16-year-old national small business organization that empowers America's diverse entrepreneurs to build a thriving and equitable economy. We engage our network of more than 85,000 small businesses and 1,500 business and community organizations to connect entrepreneurs with valuable business resources and advocate for public policy solutions that promote equitable small business growth. We have a particular focus on supporting the smallest businesses and those in under-resourced communities. Our work is bolstered by extensive research that enables us to target and measure our programs most effectively and to educate stakeholders and policymakers about key issues impacting America’s entrepreneurs.
We are a team of 29, headquartered in Washington, DC, with offices in California (four locations), Denver, Chicago, Albuquerque and Atlanta.
With dramatic changes in the small business landscape following COVID-19 and an increased focus on the needs of BIPOC and other under-resourced communities, we are seeking an experienced senior executive to help take us to the next level. We arelooking for someone who understands the needs of small businesses and independent entrepreneurs, particularly those owned bypeople of color and women, who can lead our work to empower these entities to build back better.
- Manage one of the organization’s core functions: connecting under-resourced small businesses and self- employed entrepreneurs with responsible capital, business resources and technical assistance.
- Develop strategies to ensure that we are most effectively using our assets and marketplace position to have the most impact – specifically navigating a growing sector of support for entrepreneurship to ensure that we are maximizing our competitive advantage in our role as a hub/connector.
- Work with the organization’s CEO and other team members to strengthen our relationships with national, state andregional organizations, experts, thought leaders and others who are also working to empower under-resourced small businesses
- Identify, cultivate and steward funding relationships with foundations, corporations and others that support entrepreneurship in under-resourced communities
- Engage in public speaking, participate on panels, and provide testimony advocating for the needs of BIPOC- and women-owned businesses
- Work with our communications team to engage with the media through interviews, op-eds and other channels furtheringour role as a leader in boosting entrepreneurship in under-resourced communities
- Work with the organization’s government affairs team to help advance national, state and local public policies to empower entrepreneurship in under-resourced communities
- Collaborate with the organization’s research and engagement teams to design and implement new research and datacollection mechanisms to better understand small business needs and to measure and communicate the impact of programs on under-resourced small businesses
Background & Experience
- At least 10 years’ experience developing and running programs that empower BIPOC, women and other under-resourcedentrepreneurs – work in small business financing and technical assistance is preferred
- Extensive network of national, state and regional organizations, experts, thought leaders and others who are also working to empower under-resourced small businesses
- Proven six- and seven-figure fundraising success
- Experience successfully guiding multi-disciplinary teams
- Entrepreneurship policy expertise a plus
Location: Anywhere in the United States with ready access to concentrations of key stakeholders
Reports to: Founder & CEO
Please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.