Southern California Outreach Manager – Inland Empire
Small Business Majority is a small business advocacy organization founded and run by small business owners to focus on solving the biggest problems facing small businesses today. Since 2005, we have actively engaged small business owners and policymakers in support of public policy solutions, and have delivered information and resources to entrepreneurs that promote small business growth and drive a strong, sustainable economy. We regularly engage our network of more than 65,000 small business owners and thousands of business organizations, along with a formal strategic partnership program of more than 200 business organizations, enabling us to reach more than 500,000 entrepreneurs. Our extensive scientific polling, focus groups and economic research help us educate and inform policymakers, the media and other stakeholders about issues including taxes, healthcare, access to capital, immigration, entrepreneurship and workforce development.
Small Business Majority is seeking a full-time Southern California Outreach Manager based in the Inland Empire to manage our on-the-ground work in the Inland Empire and Los Angeles. Bilingual efficiency in either Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin preferred. This position will help develop and implement strategies to conduct outreach to small business owners, organizations, policy makers and other small business advocates. This position will focus on a variety of issues including access to capital, health care reform, workforce issues and others. The ideal candidate will have expertise in areas of outreach, public policy engagement and business community engagement and be able to work simultaneously on multiple projects. This position will report to Small Business Majority’s California Director.
Outreach responsibilities include:
- Identify and develop strong external relationships with small business owners, business organizations and policymakers throughout the Inland Empire and Los Angeles.
- Develop strategies to successfully meet specific deliverables related to various grant funded projects on behalf of Small Business Majority in California
- Educate and conduct outreach to small employers, the self-employed and business organizations to deliver the resources created through Small Business Majority’s Entrepreneurship Program.
- In collaboration with local chambers and business organizations, organize, plan and execute in-person presentations, webinars and other small business engagement activities.
- Inform and activate small business owners to take action to affect state and federal policy decisions by writing letters to policymakers, submitting opinion pieces to local media, testifying at legislative hearings etc.
- Fast-track communication with/and secure small business owners for events, legislative priorities and press events
- Supported by Small Business Majority’s national Small Business Engagement team, use creative techniques to help grow the small business owner network in the Inland Empire and Los Angeles
- Assist the California Director in identify funding opportunities for Small Business Majority from philanthropic foundations, corporate giving programs, etc.
- Participate in panels, press conferences, events and possibly testify at legislative hearings
- Enter small business and other contact information into Small Business Majority’s database in a timely and accurate manner
- Keep detailed records of outreach efforts and work in conjunction with the California Director and Grants Manager to present information for funder reports
Additional responsibilities may include:
- In coordination with our national Communications team pitch stories, secure media coverage and place op-eds and other pieces into business and mainstream media
- Stay on top of critical news and developments
- Work with Communications staff to coordinate launches and media events
- Track news coverage on key issues, legislation, partner organizations, etc.
- Strong ability and proven-track record of building and maintaining strong professional relationships with a variety of external stakeholders
- Bi-lingual (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin) preferred
- Three years minimum of outreach or public engagement experience working within the business community
- Ability to work in a flexible, entrepreneurial environment with frequently shifting priorities and evolving internal processes and structures
- Self-starter who has ability to network with small business owners, business organizations and policymakers
- Experience in advocacy, public policy and political organizing, a plus
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Collaborative in nature with ability to work remotely in conjunction with team members across the country
- Strong sense of accountability; driven to meet and exceed expectations
- Regional travel required throughout Southern California
- Successful experience fundraising from corporate and/or philanthropic institutions, a plus
- Available for periodic travel throughout California and attend key external and internal meetings (including SBM’s annual 3-day retreat)
- Must be able to and comfortable with working from a home office
Please submit cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.